Thursday, July 2, 2009

I think I've seen more doctors this month than I have in YEARS!!

Man, this whole insurance process is a pain!

Monday I had my follow-up appointment with the psychologist. She told me my answers on the PAI were consistent and we didn't really talk about that any further. She asked me more questions about the lapband, how I'll make the lifestyle change, what setbacks I might face, etc... I think she asked the same question three times at one point, which annoys me. I don't like when people repeat things!! Repeating questions you already got an answer to is almost as bad as having to hear the same story over and over again. :D

But she said she talked to the surgeon's office and got the information that is required to put in the letter. And then she told me she would fax it to them this week (well, this past week, since it's about over now). Sweet!

And the visit I was scared of... my endocrinologist. I've been seeing him for 5 years (well, except when I didn't have insurance from 2006 to 2008). We've tried a couple different things, but nothing has worked. I was on a weight loss drug study with his office, for Lorcasserin. The study was done by Arena Pharmaceuticals. Pretty sure I had the placebo. Wait, am I repeating stories here? LOL!! No, I did that on purpose.

ANYWAY... so when I called a month ago and asked for my weight history and a letter, I was told that he wanted to see me first. So that led me to think, "Oh god, he's going to want to try something else and won't agree to it." Then, "Well, if that were the case, wouldn't he just say he didn't agree to it right now instead of making me wait?" Then, "Well, maybe it's innocent. Or maybe he just wants my monies!!"

Ok, so... I go in (I made my mom come) and he starts talking about getting blood work and whatever else. I'm like, "Uh... do you remember why I came here today? I'm looking into getting the Lap Band... blah blah blah." And then he says, "I think that's a great idea. I think the Lap band will work very well for you." I was absolutely stunned! No argument, no persuasion to do something else. Wow!

So I tell him what I need (a letter/note) and he says he'll have it signed by the next day. He was going on vacation for a month, so I had to make sure it was done by the next day (which was his last day). So I go and pick it up. I was expecting a separate letter, but he just put a note at the bottom of the office visit transcript, saying:

"I agree with Lap banding. I think this will be a terrific option for this patient. I will be more happy to support her decision with documentation as needed". (whoa, proofread, please)

I'm hoping this is ok because, if not, I have to wait until he returns at the end of the month to get something better!! :(

So Monday is my pre-op appointment. So we'll see!!!! I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment