Saturday, July 25, 2009

Surgery in 3 days!!

Alright, so I'm FINALLY updating this blog. Since my last appointment with the surgeon, I'd just been waiting to hear from the insurance company about whether I was approved or not. I meet the weight requirements and have other conditions that are caused by or aggravated by obesity, so I thought I was ok there. What concerned me was... possibly not having a full 5-year weight history, since I didn't have insurance for 2 years. I had 2004, 2005, 2008. The other thing was not having documentation for previous diet attempts. I've tried tons, but it was basically just them taking my word (well, the drug study was mentioned in my medical records). So waiting waiting....

At this point I had lost about 5lbs from the consult to the pre-op visit with the surgeon. Several days before my pre-op diet started, I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, which really wasn't excessive or anything. We celebrated my sister's birthday the night before, so I had cake & ice cream.

Tuesday (7/21) I started my 7-day pre-op diet, which is a low carb, liquid diet. So that means... broth, water, sugar-free beverages, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, etc... I had planned on going to the grocery store and GNC to load up on these types of foods over the weekend, but it didn't happen. So Tuesday I had:

- 1/2 c. Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 bottle of Isopure (Alpine Punch)
- 2 c. Egg Drop Soup
- 1 c. Wonton Soup (without the wontons, of course)
- 1 carton EAS Protein Shake (Chocolate Fudge)
- 2 Sugar-Free Jellos

Yes, I was pretty hungry all day, but not to where I was ready to chew someone's leg off.

Day 2:
- 1 carton EAS Protein Shake
- 1 c. Egg Drop Soup
- 2 Jellos (SF)
- 1 Powdered Protein Shake (Gold Standard - Double Rich Chocolate) w/ 1-1/2 cups Skim Milk

Day 3:
- 1 carton EAS Protein Shake
- 2 Jellos (SF)
- 1 c. Wonton Soup (without wontons)
- 1 Powdered Protein Shake (Gold Standard - Double Rich Chocolate) w/ 1-1/4 cups Skim Milk
- 3 sugar-free popsicles (Orange, Fruit Punch, Raspberry Ice)

Day 4:
- 1 carton EAS Protein Shake
- 3 Jellos (SF)
- 1 c. Hot & Sour Soup (soup part only, not all the tofu, etc..)
- 1 Powdered Protein Shake (Gold Standard - Double Rich Chocolate) w/ 1-1/4 cups Skim Milk


And today is Day 5 and all I've had so far is 1/2 a protein shake (powdered). I'm already pretty grossed out with this kind, even though I thought it was really good the first time I had it. It has a weird flavor. If it had a more chocolate taste, I'd be fine with it. I might try to go buy some sugar-free chocolate syrup so that I'll tolerate it better. And I did buy a Magic Bullet about a month ago, to be prepared, which I've used several times now. It's awesome!

Ok, onto the good stuff.... Insurance was submitted on the 7th of July. I called the insurance company on the 17th to see if they received the documents (that was my excuse) and to see if there was an updated status. She said it was still Pending and they'd let me know by mail. Blah blah blah...

On Tuesday (the 21st), I e-mailed Rebecca at the surgeon's office and asked her a question about the pre-op testing and casually mentioned waiting for the insurance. She responded that she had called the previous day and they said it was in review and the insurance company didn't seem to care that my surgery was going to be the following Tuesday. She e-mailed me again a couple hours later and said she called again and they said it was Pending and would contact them by mail when it was approved/closed. Well, shit, time is running out! Didn't hear anything Wednesday. On Thursday morning Rebecca called me and told me it was approved, yayyyy!!!!!! I was so worried we would have to push back the surgery if the insurance wasn't approved in time. I have two jobs, so it's a pain in the ass to have to request off. One job is very flexible, but the other I had to request off like 3 weeks in advance!

Alright, so weight loss... I started out the pre-op diet at 258.5. Day two, later in the day, it went down to 256. Day three, 254.5. Day four, 252.5. And this morning it was 251.

I haven't cheated at all on my diet, not even a nibble. Right now I'm not even hungry. I mean, I could eat... but I want real food, lmao. Since I'm not getting it, I'm cool. I'll eat some soup in a little while. And since day 2, I've had a constant headache, most likely from sugar withdrawals - since I'm a carb-a-holic! It's better today than it has been the past two days, so I'll survive. :D

This morning I went and got my pre-op test done. I was expecting like... EKG, barium swallow, etc.. No. All I did was get blood drawn and peed in a cup. I woke up early for that!? Today I'm going to clean my house and tonight I'm going to a Bunco's party at my parents' house. There's going to be sooo much food and I'm going to hate life, LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment